When a man is unable to get or keep an erection firm enough for sex, then this problem is known as Erectile Dysfunction. It is one of the male sexual health conditions that is caused by chronic illness and other medical conditions. However, most of the time in many cases, it’s found that it is temporary.
Temporary Erectile Dysfunction lasts a few months to a year. It totally depends on the underlying cause. As per the 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual OF Mental Disorders. Erectile Dysfunction last for at least 6 months to count as ED.
In most of cases, ED can be cured. To do this, you only need to identify and treat whatever causing your condition. Simply means that your Erectile Dysfunction will last as long as the treatment takes.
Typer of ED
Before finding how long Erectile Dysfunction (ED) last, you should first get to know what type of ED you are suffering from. Below are the types of ED:
1. Short-Term ED
Having problems with erections occasionally is not always a cause of concern. Most men experience ED at some in their lives. Short-term ED has its own distinctive cause and risk factor. These short-term forms can be divided into 2 groups: Situational ED and Temporary ED.
Temporary ED (Erectile Dysfunction) in this case is temporary and can be cured once lifestyle changes are made. It can be caused by some of the following factors:
- Physical inactivity, poor diet, being overweight, or obesity: Nitric Oxide is the most important molecule required to get an erection. It is a vasodilator which means that it helps the blood vessel to relax which is necessary for erection. Chronic inflammation can lead to a problem with the blood vessel and decrease the availability of molecules.
- Chronic Stress: When men take so much stress, their body increases the production of the hormone epinephrine. Elevated epinephrine levels make it difficult for muscle as well as blood vessels in the penis to relax. The problem of Erectile Dysfunction can be resolved and can cause stress and anxiety is dealt with.
- Metabolic Syndrome: As per many reports it was found that there are several ways metabolic syndrome can lead to Erectile Dysfunction such as atherosclerosis and low testosterone. It is depending upon the cause, ED may be temporary and treatable.
ii. Situational ED
As its name, is a type of ED that only occurs in a particular situation. Relationship problems, guilt, depression, stress, performance anxiety, and a history of sexual trauma are some of the causes of psychogenic. The symptoms of situational ED tend to be erratic and it may not happen with different partners or in different situations. Some of the causes of situational ED are taking alcohol or drugs, having a stressful lifestyle, etc.
2. Long-Term ED
In long-term ED, it is difficult to reverse Erectile Dysfunction because it is caused by certain problems such as spinal cord injuries, diabetes, and various sclerosis, affecting nerves that affect the penis. Sometimes ED caused by conditions such as blocked arteries, penile tissue damage, Peyronie’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and nerve damage are still manageable with injections, medications, and other therapies.
Sometimes, prescription medication, such as for depression or high blood pressure, can cause ED.
Whether a short-term or long-term cause of Erectile Dysfunction depends on how long the person is taking the medications.
Diagnosing Erectile Dysfunction
Experience the occasional ED is normal but causing a regular disruption to your sex life will be a concern. The only way to check out the underlying cause of your ED is to consult a doctor, a urologist who specializes in male sexual health.
Temporary ED can be suspected if the symptoms are sudden and sporadic, and occur in people who are at low risk of ED. The doctor 1st start with a review of the patient medical as well as sexual history, including the risk factor of ED.
Below are some of the tests and procedures that are also be perfumed :
- Blood or Urine Tests to check blood lipids and testosterone, and look for signs for diabetes.
- Ultrasound Non-invasive imaging test that is used with injectable erection-inducing drugs to evaluate the blood flow to the penis.
- The nocturnal penile tumescence ( NPT) Test is a test in which a band of stamps is wrapped around the penis to see if a person has an erection at night.
- Being a portable device, RigiScan worn around the penis that can evaluate the rigidity and engorgement of the penis at night.
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
ED is treatable, either with medication, a change in lifestyle, therapy, a combination of approaches, etc. A person can seek counseling or a therapist if ED has psychological causes. Just talking to someone about whatever you are worried about is enough to get your sex life back on track. While taking therapy, you should know that it can’t be a quick fix. You have to be patient while working through this process. It usually takes months or even years before you have conquered your psychological problems.
In many medical conditions, an individual is able to regain normal sexual function once gets the underlying disease under control. Talking about the duration, How long it will take, it totally depends upon the individual condition. The patient’s doctor will outline a treatment plan after they successfully diagnosed the medical cause of ED. A surgical implant is one of the treatment options that is used when all other methods failed. Two of the main kinds of implants commonly are in use, One is silicone rod, and the other is inflatable device chambers. Flood the chambers with saline anytime when you want to erect them. More than 90% of the couple who choose the treatment options report satisfaction after surgery.
So, from the above information, we can say that Temporary Erectile Dysfunction can be resorted. You should connect with a professional doctor whenever you first have an erectile problem so that the doctor can diagnose ED, determine the cause, and direct treatment.